June 2020

Start time of meeting: Meeting called to order at 6:06PM via Webex meeting facilitated by Kevin Elder, President and Ruth Yoash-Gantz, 2nd Secretary.

 

Attendance:  

Erika Martin 

Kevin Elder 

Ruth Yoash-Gantz 

Laura Calvin 

Scott McConnell 

John Finney

Scott Higgins

Nicole VanBaelen

 

Approval of Agenda

The agenda was unanimously approved as distributed.

Approval of Minutes

The minutes of the March 8, 2020 meeting were unanimously approved as distributed.

Agenda Items:

  1. JP resigned from the Committee. He was Treasurer. Kevin stated we need to refill the position. Nicole asked why he resigned. Kevin stated that JP said he had nothing to offer at this time. Position remains open.
  2. To access Google Drive: log in to Drive.google.com, use your Google creds, click on Shared folder and should be able to see all files in the shared folder. Kevin will assist if needed.
  3. Weeds at intersection of greenways: NC DOT is responsible but understaffed due to COVID-19. 
    1. John proposed several of us taking weed-eaters to cut the tall grasses at Rocky River Road Greenway entrance.  
    2. John F will call the Herald for news coverage and will let us know the date/time. 
    3. Scott H:  used weed-eater on the Antiquity Greenway entrance. 
  4. Signage
    1. Kevin suggested that we request more signage for the Rocky River Road Greenway entrance. Scott H mentioned he can address such things in Cornelius and recommended we contact Davidson authorities to have increased signage. Issue was tabled until things settle down from COVID and NC DOT employees have returned to work in full force.
    2. Scott H: we need to continue adding pressure/voice to towns for more (road) signage. 
    3. Erika discussed Iredell Co. signage efforts. Suggested prioritizing specific roadways within each district. Committee mentioned Shearer Road, Hwy 115, Bailey Road, Presbyterian Church Road, Rocky River Road, Linwood/Deal Road, Johnson Dairy Road, Patterson Farm Road. Erika will work on those that are in Iredell County. Scott H will work on those in Meck County. 
      1. Late entry: Erika said DOT out of money. 
  5. Update on 501c3 status: Kevin will arrange for Ruth and Scott M to do a Zoom to brainstorm and complete the application within a week from the meeting. Scott H requested that the details of the application be sent to the full committee so that we all present consistent information in our meetings with various agencies.
  6. Presentation to Town of Davidson Board with Jane Cacchione. 
    1. Jane serves on Liveability Board for TOD and spoke with Chief Dunn. Invited SAFE to come in and talk about SAFE committee and goals, perhaps to potentially help SAFE. This was pre-COVID. Now, they have rescheduled for June 17. 
    2. Nicole and Kevin volunteered to help prepare presentation for June 17. Ruth:  would be helpful to complete the 501c3 app so that the presentation to the Liveability Board is consistent with the application’s stated goals. 
    3. Scott H: Ann’s article on WeeklyRides and the increase in cycling and pedestrians the past few months. Suggested we include some stats in our presentations to local agencies. 60-70% increase in ridership past few months. 
    4. John: Bicycle sales for recreation are 3-4X higher than several months ago. Manufacturers cannot maintain supply. Increased use of all Greenways/sidewalks with runners, peds. 
    5. Erika: Strava has heat maps showing use. But, not for free version.
  7. Unfinished Business
    1. Nicole: Video of Aric Almirola. He sent the video and asked if we wanted modifications for text. First version looked good. 
    2. Nicole: Melisa reached out regarding cancellation of Poker Ride and wondered if SAFE could do other activities for Ada Jenkins. 
      1. Would be good for SAFE to be involved in this effort to get our name out more. Ex: food drive/cash donations during local shop rides. Build partnership, bring cycling community together. Nicole will take the lead on it.  
      2. Potential for Virtual Ride at time of usual Mac Poker ride. Have T-shirts advertising SAFE but with contributions from local bike shops. All proceeds to Ada Jenkins.
    3. Scott H mentioned need for clear identity that will focus us.

 

Next meeting: July 7@7PM.

 

Meeting Adjourned: 6:55PM.

May 2020

Opening

The regular meeting of SAFE was called to order at 6:06 pm on May 4, 2020 via Microsoft team meeting facilitated by Kevin Elder, President and Jennifer Senos, Secretary 

Present

Scott McConnell

Ruth Yoash-Gantz

Kevin Elder

Nicole Van Baelen

Jenn Senos

Erika Martin

Jason Happe

Laura Calvin

 

Approval of Agenda

The agenda was unanimously approved as distributed.

Approval of Minutes

The minutes of the April 5, 2020 meeting were unanimously approved as distributed.

Open Issues

 

  1.  501(c) – Non Profit application 
    1. Ruth and Kevin will work on looking over the full application and coming up with items/goals that are not mentioned in our mission statement.  
    2. They will set up a separate meeting soon to get the application finished.  
    3. Ruth looked over some of the data and feels like in order to get everything done correctly she will need to look over what Kevin did so far. 
    4. IRS needs and wants specifics when it comes to what the non profit is working on.  Brainstorming and getting this done correctly is very important  
  2. Ride of Silence 
    1. Kevin mentioned that Jeff V.’s Ride of Silence is going to happen.
    2. Laura said it was going to happen but the details are yet to be established.  
    3. We should support his ride in whatever way we can.
    4. Our ride has been canceled for this year but Nicole mentioned that maybe we could do solo rides or small group ride and have something pinned to our jersey’s that represent the Ride of Silence.  
    5. Even solo rides can make a big impact on honoring the individuals that have been killed or injured.  
    6. We have a lot in place for next year with the support of the Huntersville Police and local restaurants.
  3.  Other business
    1. Nicole mentioned that Race teams are starting back up and that we will be able to contact them in regards to doing the video soon.
    2. Kevin decided to start the MAC rides up soon (Mid May).  He did his research on when other area cycling groups were starting back up.  There will be rules. Small groups and social distancing while riding.
    3. Jason H. said that he would most likely follow in Kevin’s footsteps and start the Cornelius Drafthouse rides up soon.
    4. Erika mentioned that she submitted the proposal for new signage for the Town of Mooresville.  She put in for 14 new signs.  

 

 

Agenda for Next Meeting please submit by the end of May  

Next meeting is scheduled for June 1, 2020 6pm via Microsoft team meeting online

  •  

Adjournment

Meeting was adjourned at 6:32 pm by Kevin Elder, President .  

Minutes submitted by: Jennifer Senos
Approved by:Name

April 2020

Opening

The regular meeting of SAFE was called to order at 4:41 pm on April 5, 2020 via Webex meeting facilitated by Kevin Elder, President and Jennifer Senos, Secretary 

Present

Scott McConnell

Ruth Yoash-Gantz

Scott Higgins

Kevin Elder

Nicole Van Baelen

Jenn Senos

Erika Martin

JP Riou

Laura Calvin

Richard Kirkman

Ann Groninger

Will Washam

Brad Johnson

 

Approval of Agenda

The agenda was unanimously approved as distributed.

Approval of Minutes

The minutes of the March 8, 2020 meeting were unanimously approved as distributed.

Open Issues /Unfinished Business 

  1. Nonprofit update (Kevin)
    1. Legal Zoom docs are in the process of being completed
    2. We need to put together a detailed list of our goals and plans for the group to submit  
    3. Detailed list is more than our mission statement, more involved, may need to put together a small group
    4. Funding for the nonprofit is already done.
  2.  Bus Wrap
    1. Not much of an update due to everything shutting down due to Covid-19
    2. We still need to work on a Slogan (Will has agreed to help with that)
    3. We still need to make sure the sponsor is still able to donate the funds for the wrap.
    4. Right now the sponsor is paying for the first wrap.  We will have to do some fundraising to get additional wraps.
  3. Partnership with Livable Meck (Kevin / Nicole)
    1. Kevin mentioned that he had a phone call with them and that it would be a great idea for Liveable Meck to do a spotlight on the group and what we are doing. It would allow us to get our name and mission out in the public.
    2. Scott H. asked that when Kevin and Nicole speak with them again, we need to find out if they are working with anyone else that has similar ideas as we do and how this would play in how we are reaching out to the community. 
  4. Video (Nicole)
    1. Due to Covid, there really isn’t much going on.
    2. Nicole mentioned the video to Thomas Lanahan (Videographer).  He wasn’t sure as of today due to the lack of work during the virus.  
    3. We all agree the video needs to have some well know people example: Nascar drivers to help us promote what our mission is.
    4. Nicole was nice enough to share the video to the group that she was using for promoting our mission.
  5. Yellow Vests / House Signs
    1. Nicole contacted Ben Baker and we do have options in regards to vests and other visibility items
    2. Nicole spoke with Jeff V. person he uses for the signs.  Right now the cost is better then we previously noted.  But right now this is all on hold.  We will need to do some fundraising for these items.  
  6. Driving School – Everything is on hold right now.
  7. Pledge
    1. Scott H. has handed it to Cornelius drafthouse and D9 groups.
    2. Kevin plans to post it on the MAC page.
  8. Ride of Silence (Laura/Nicole)
    1. Everything is on hold.  Ride of silence will most likely not take place. 
    2. Location and route was mapped out with the Town of Huntersville
    3. Looking at options on what we can do
    4. Virtual ride (which will not make sense) because the point is that cyclist are visible and are on the roads.
    5. Maybe do a charity ride?

 

Updates:

 

  1. Clearing of signs on roads
  2. No police meeting due to Covid
  3. Town Council meetings taking place?
    1. Scott H. mentioned that Cornelis are having their meeting remotely.  
    2. Funding may be stalled due to the Covid 19 crisis.
    3. There will most likely be a Pre/Post Covid 19 budget
    4. We still need to make sure that Government officials know that the bike safety is still very important which means during this hard time we need to make sure we are not forgotten. 
    5. Ground work needs and can be done NOW!

 

 

New Business

 

  1. Membership into the group?
    1. Richard K. Asked about if we had membership options outside of the members that are part of this group now?
    2. It would be great to have other community members ex:Local Government, Bike Groups, Local bike shops etc.  When we speak to larger groups of people having other members will give us a leg up.  
    3. Public membership would be beneficial.  We could do a $20 fee with an option to donate more.  
    4. Membership for the group should be for all types, for example, including runners and walkers.  
    5. Advertise to all people
  2. We need to start looking into fundraising and grant options.  Examples would be People for Bikes etc. 
  3. Mooresville Bike Plan (Erika)
    1. Bike plan approved
    2. We are in the process of identifying our goals
    3. Safety campaign – Distracted Drivers

 

Agenda for Next Meeting – Date TBD

 

  •  

Adjournment

Meeting was adjourned at 6:08 pm by Kevin Elder, President . The next general meeting will be determined at a future date

 

Minutes submitted by: Jennifer Senos
Approved by:Name

March 2020

Opening

The regular meeting of SAFE was called to order at 4:35 pm on March 8, 2020 at Waterbean Coffee, facilitated by Kevin Elder, President.

Present

Scott McConnell

Ruth Yoash-Gantz

Scott Higgins

Kevin Elder

Nicole Van Baelen

Jenn Senos

Jeff Viscount

JP Riou

 

Approval of Agenda

The agenda was unanimously approved as distributed.

Approval of Minutes

The minutes of the February 8, 2020 meeting were unanimously approved as distributed.

Open Issues /Unfinished Business 

Unfinished Business from last meeting February 9, 2020

 

Kevin- John F. Got a sponsor for the wrap on the back of an ICATS bus (runs in Mooresville) – Cost 1,000 –stays on bus until the bus goes out of commission

 

Advertisements will stay on for a few years.  Can change the wrap.  Pay for the new wrap and design only

 

Will Washam should be able to help us with what kind of message we want. 

 

  •     New Business: Think of what we want for a message on the bus

 

See if we could do busses that go through Davidson, Cornelius and Huntersville

 

Would need to do some fundraisers

 

Need to have some kind of separate website that goes on the advert. So we can track who is looking at the info. 

 

Which message was more effective?  Web traffic

 

  1.     LivableMeck (Kevin)
  2.     Scott sent an email a while back.   He never got a response back from the County Manager. 
  3.     They are excited to partner up with us.  Good opportunity to get our name out there.  Lots of eyes on their organization. No Cost.  A community partnership
  4.     Livable Meck is Vision Zero for Meck County.  Partner with different groups to get the word out on certain things.  They don’t know the priorities for other towns.  They have different areas they focus on and we would fall under Safety.
  5.     If we partner with them can they do a story on us?  Kevin said yes.
  6.     Scott M. Said the concept is very interesting.
  7.     Jeff good idea to get our name out there most likely will not lead to any money but its networking.  They have check boxes that they need to meet.
  8.     Enhancing the quality of life in the community.

 

  1.     Video update (JP)
  2.     Touch based with Travis Beam and Sean Kerlin
  3.     They really want to get Jimmy Johnson, John Hunter N,  Dale Earnhardt Jr
  4.     Joe Gibbs lots of guys ride. 
  5.     Nicole will ask Thomas Lanahan for video production
  6.     Safe passage
  7.     Double yellow line passing is legal in NC
  8.     Reach out of Terry at bike walk (Jeff)
  9.     Need donations (Bobby L video) was all donated
  10.       Jeff – should touch base with channels (work on the relationships now)
  11.       Ruth- Short PSA’s (15, 30 secs)
  12.     JP/Jeff- what do we want to talk about. Education – cyclist of the right to be on the road.  Dangers for riding on the sidewalk
  13.       Little slogans 

 

Drivers Ed- has changed a lot in regards to cycling.  (Brakes and Drive)

 

Build a model for presenting to drivers ed classes. 

 

  1.     Yellow Vests (Nicole) –
  2.     1 imprint – safe logo – 500 – $486
  3.     2 imprints – 500 – $560
  4.     Scott said people are just not interested. (Polite) confuses people
  5.     Jeff said it sounds expensive
  6.     Put on the back burner for not
  7.     Ben Baker – companies

 

Non Profit / Name Non Profit – Kevin

  •     Separate from Mac
  •     Go through Legal Zoom (400 vs 1500 for Lawyer)

 

House Signs ( Nicole)

 

-Postnet pretty expensive.

– Jeff (Victory) a little cheaper

-Signs could be a good fundraiser

  

Pledge:

 

Reaching out to the local cycling groups

Banner Ad (Jeff) will run for free for us

Weekly rides page (build out some landing pages)

Add donation link and meeting schedule for others to join.

 

D9 Swell Riders – Mondays

Cornelius Draft house – Wednesdays

 

Update from Erika – Please look at google doc for the update

 

Watch for me Program – has money to use (we should touch base with them)

 

Research previous videos – very important –

 

NCDOT Request- town of Mooresville is working on the request.  Putting up signs and meeting the requirements “May use full lane”.

 

Looking at the town maps to pick the roads that need these signs.

 

Update on the speed limit reduction on 115. Has not heard back yet.   This will be hard to get. 

 

Cornelius is focusing on “town” streets vs state.

DMV- Videos

         Only certain capabilities. 

         36 DMV’s – cost bracket for each one

         Only certain ones have time slots availability

         4 different videos is possible

Jeff – Too much going on – We need to focus on things that we can do. Meaning local engagement vs. trying to reach all the people in DMV

 

If we had a lot of sponsors and money this would be great but its too much right now. 

  

New Business

 

Secretary- Jenn – approved – Back up for Ruth

Community Liaison- Nicole – approved

Treasurer: JP – approved

President- Kevin – approved

VP – Jason and Scott M – approved 

 

Ruth- Charity ride’s around here we should have a booth to promote, sell items

Ruth will donate the money for the non profit.

 

Grant programs – for state and city (Ruth and Jenn)

 

Anything we need to farm out we should find a cyclist that does it.

 

Scott- Infrastructure report

         Law enforcement involved – police will be come to the first rides of the Cornelius bike groups

 

Agenda for Next Meeting

 

  •   Nonprofit update

 

Adjournment

Meeting was adjourned at 5:58pm by Kevin Elder, President . The next general meeting will take place at 4:30 on April 5, 2020

 

Minutes submitted by: Jennifer Senos
Approved by:Name

WHAT ARE WE UP TO?

What are we up to?

We currently have several things going on. This group has been working hard with local town offices, businesses, and police departments to bring safer streets to the Lake Norman area.

Here’s a list of some of the things we’re working on right now:

  • Our board of directors have been nominated and voted in.
    • President – Kevin Elder
    • Vice President – Jason Happe
    • Secretary – Jennifer Senos
    • Treasurer – Jean-Pierre Riou
    • Community Liaison Officer – Nicole Van Baelen
    • Vice Secretary – Ruth Yoash-Gantz
    • 2nd Vice President – Scott McConnell
  • We have applied for nonprofit status through the IRS and the State of North Carolina and are currently submitting information as needed for that process. We’re hoping to complete this within 2-3 months time.
  • Our website is still undergoing updates and changes but is up and running at https://safelkn.com 
  • We’re still working with local towns to replace the confusing “Share The Road” signs with the clearer “May Use Full Lane” signs. Towns have been very receptive to this idea.
  • ICATS has donated the use of the back of one of their busses for a wrap we can use to advertise our cause and we have secured a sponsor to pay for the cost of the wrap. We’re currently working to bring that to fruition.
  • We are working to partner with Livable Meck. Who is Livable Meck? Livable Meck is bringing together residents, local governments, nonprofits and businesses in Mecklenburg County to develop a unified vision that gives voice to our commonly-held aspirations. Together, these public and private stakeholders have worked to develop a unified plan that presents a community-driven, stakeholder-vetted and local-government-endorsed blueprint designed to support the livability of Mecklenburg County now and in the future.
  • We’re organizing the 2020 Ride of Silence to honor our friends who have been killed or injured while riding. This ride is a nationwide event and will be held on May 20, 2020 at 7:00 pm. More details on this ride will be made available soon. Check our website often for updates.
  • We are working with local schools to educate future motorists on how to properly pass cyclists safely. The most effective way for us to change the perception of pedestrians and cyclists on streets is to teach our youth.

Being Heard

At the last town meetings in Mooresville and Davidson we presented our justification for replacing “Share The Road” signs with “May Use Full Lane” signs. We also shared crash stats for Iredell county and Mecklenburg counties respectively.

We will continue to attend town meetings every month and present new facts and requests of our town managers to make our streets SAFE for all users. We would encourage you to attend your local town meetings as well. Make yourself seen and heard. Change happens when you stand up.

Keeping Up To Date

We will post an update like this on a regular basis to keep you informed of what this advocacy group is going and to let you know what you can do to help as well.

JANUARY 2020

Meeting Minutes 

January 19, 2020

Attendees: 

Kevin Elder, Laura Calvin, Nicole Van Baelen, Jennifer Senos, Jason Happe, Scott Higgins, John Finney, Erika Martin, Scott McConnell, JP Riou, Ann Groninger, Terry Lansdell

Purpose of the Meeting:  Cycling Safety Discussion

Agenda:
Identify Problems
Brainstorm Solutions
Assign action items

Meeting started at 5 pm in which we all introduced ourselves.

Key Point #1 – Safety of everyone, not just cyclists (walkers, runners, general public) 

Key point #2 – all about educating the public (law enforcement, Cyclists and general community)

  • Too many distracted drivers
  • Drivers do not change lanes when passing
  • DMV should find a way to have more cycling questions on the drivers test.
  • Get into Driver’s ed classes to present to teens as well as new drivers

Key Point #3 – Cyclists need to respect drivers and not overly aggressive

What we need to do:

  1. Improve infrastructure 
    1. More bike lanes, cycling tracks as well as better pedestrian walkways
    2. Petitions to improve the infrastructure and to help with cost 
  2. Attend City Council meetings to express our concerns 
    1. Advocate (which is very important)
  3. Educate the public with the bicycle laws and make sure the laws are enforced which requires law enforcement to understand the laws.

How this all can be done:

  1. Tell our story
  2. Avocate 
  3. Be present
  4. Build a relationship with law enforcement

*This is a general recap of what we discussed without getting into too much detail

Thank you!

MAY USE FULL LANE

Following a request by SAFE, Mooresville town staff are working on a proposal to the NCDOT. We have identified several local roads for the “May Use Full Lane” signage. The Town’s engineer and the Senior Transportation Planner are working on the exact placement.

DRIVER EDUCATION

We are working with local schools to educate future motorists on how to properly pass cyclists safely. The most effective way for us to change the perception of pedestrians and cyclists on streets is to change train youngsters early.

SAFETY VESTS

Our committee has discussed purchasing yellow reflective safety vests for those who can’t afford them and use their bicycles as a main source of transportation. We all deserve to be seen.

PARTNERSHIPS

We are working on building relationships with organizations in our area that can help us get our message out. The more people we can engage, the more likely we are to succeed in making our streets safer for everyone.